When you think of long summer days, what do you think of? No I don’t mean the beach, I’m talking about ice-cream! That deliciously refreshing food that makes hot summer days seem so much cooler. Traditional ice-cream however is full of dairy fat and sugar so I have come up with some healthy, vegan, low fat everyday ice-creams that you can make at home. With health in mind, the recipes below are all natural and all naturally tasting.
Banana Ice-cream: This is a great recipe because it literally only takes about 2 minutes to make! It’ refreshing and will keep you full for quite some time.
- 5 ripe bananas, peeled
- ¼ cup milk of your choice
- Peel the bananas and cut them into quarters.
- Freeze the bananas overnight in a sealed container.
- Then in a blender combine the bananas and milk.
- If the texture is not to your liking simple add a little more milk and blend.
Mixed Fruit Pops: These mixed fruit pops are great for the kids on a hot summers day. And you don’t need to stick to the engredietns listed but you can play around with all the flavors.
- Icey pole mould
- 6 kiwis
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup milk of your choice
- Peel the bananas and cut them into quarters and then with a fork smash the bananas while your pour in the milk. Make sure the mixture is not runny.
- Scoop out the kiwis into a bowl and then with a fork smash the kiwis with the coconut oil.
- Then spoon the kiwis into the icey pole moulds first so that they reach half way and then spoon in the banana mix the rest of the way.
- Then place in the freezer to freeze.
Mint-Choc Chip Avo Ice-cream: This creamy homemade ice-cream is full of ingredients you will recognize and most likely just have sitting around at home. Plus it only takes 5 ingredients to make this ice cream! I love to make this ice cream on an especially hot day as the mint is super refreshing.
- 2 medium avocados, pitted and scooped out
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup tablespoons chocolate chips
- Place all ingredients except chocolate chips into a blender.
- Blend until very smooth.
- Place mixture into a deep bowl.
- Then add in your chocolate chips and stir
- Set bowl into freezer.
- Stir every 30 minutes until desired texture is achieved. Usually it takes around 2-3 hours.
Coconut Coffee Ice-cream: Move over cappuccino, there’s a new coffee in town! These ingredients perfectly complement each other to make a deliciously refreshing ice-cream. Perfect for when your friends come around or when you’re just relaxing by the pool on one of those hot summer days.
- 3 cups coconut milk
- ½ cup maple syrup (or brown sugar)
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 8 drops tsp pure vanilla extract
- Place milk, coffee and syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk until well combined. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and then whisk in vanilla.
- Transfer to a normal bowl and place in the freezer overnight.
- Then place in a blender and blend until mixture reaches a consistency you are happy with.
Frozen Mango Lassie: This frozen yogurt version is just as refreshing as the traditional version, but I would say even more so! It’s smooth, creamy and easy to scoop right out of the bowl. I’m guilty of eating a bowl of this ice-cream for breakfast it’s that refreshing!
- 1 pound, fresh or frozen mango chunks
- ? cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 small lime, juiced
- Pinch teaspoon salt
- 2 cups yogurt, chilled
- In a saucepan, mix the mango, honey, lime juice and salt. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, then stir occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Then let it cool for a few minutes off the heat.
- Purée the mixture in a blender until it is completely smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and refrigerate it until the mixture is chilled, preferably overnight.
- Mix together your chilled mango mixture and chilled yogurt, then freeze. Then blend the mixture once more and then serve immediately.